November 26, 2010

Vanilla & Chocolate Cream



I remember when I was a child my mum was always around the kitchen preparing at least three healthy meals for us. Somehow she found the energy to run a house, without any help, take care of four very active kids and cook! I also remember we often had homemade bread, homemade butter (!), yummy cakes and desserts.
One of the desserts that remind me a lot of my childhood is Vanilla and Chocolate cream. It is a very simple recipe that tastes delicious. I had cooked it for our family in Hong Kong a couple of times already following strictly my mum’s recipe. This time, however I decided to adapt the recipe and add chopped dark and milk chocolate. The result was a perfect combination of flavours.


I started chopping the two types of chocolate. Next was the vanilla cream. In a sauce pan I mixed milk, condensed milk, corn starch, butter, egg yolks and vanilla extract. Brought the pan to the stove and stirred constantly until boiling.



For the chocolate cream I mixed milk, cocoa powder, corn starch and sugar in another saucepan and again brought to the stove and mixed until boiling.


I served the dessert in 6 small cups alternating layers of vanilla cream, chopped chocolate and chocolate cream. At the top, a tablespoon of meringue.




Chocolate and Vanilla Cream Dessert Recipe

100g milk chocolate chopped
100g dark chocolate chopped

Vanilla Cream
1 cup of milk
1 can of condensed milk
1 ½ tablespoons corn starch
1 tablespoon of butter
2 egg yolks
½ teaspoon of vanilla extract

Chocolate Cream
500ml of milk
1 ½ tablespoons corn starch
2 tablespoons of sugar
3 tablespoons of unsweetened cocoa powder

Meringue
2 egg whites
4 tablespoons of caster sugar


No comments:

Post a Comment