November 16, 2010

Condensed Milk Caramel Flan



Deciding what I would cook for my first post was not easy. It is a big decision because this is my first recipe being shared with you. I wanted something special and simple and absolutely delicious. The recipe had to be mouth-watering and easy to be followed (and written and explained …).

So, there we go. I decided for a very traditional Brazilian dessert, Condensed Milk Caramel Flan. Besides being a national temptation this is also a traditional recipe in my family. My Grandma cooks a fantastic flan and she taught my mum, who decided to change the recipe just a bit and created something scrumptious. Every time I go back home this is what I ask her to cook for me and when she meets me at the airport she always says “your caramel flan is ready just waiting for you” (trust me here, I could eat it all by myself).

To prepare this dessert you will need condensed milk, eggs, sugar and milk. The first thing to do is melt the sugar in an aluminum ring mold. For me this is the “hardest” part of the recipe. You have to do it in low flame, in the stove top, spreading the sugar on the sides and bottom of the mold. I like to hold the mold and turn it around to spread the caramel until it becomes golden brown. Let the mold cool down.


The next step is to mix the eggs, the condensed milk and the milk in a blender for approximately 2 minutes depending on the speed of your blender. Transfer this mixture to the ring mold and cover with a lid (if your ring mold doesn’t have one you can use foil paper, just make sure it is well sealed). Bring it to cook in the stove top in bain marie (water bath) for 1 hour. Let it cool down and transfer to the fridge where it should stay for at least 4 hours.


To remove the flan from the ring mold run the tip of a knife around the inside of the mold. After invert the mold in a flat round serving plate. The flan should slide out easily.


Condensed Milk Caramel Flan Recipe

Caramel Sauce
¾ cup of sugar

Custard
1 can of condensed milk
1 can of milk (I use the condensed milk can to measure the milk)
3 eggs





No comments:

Post a Comment