April 3, 2011

My Potato Mayonnaise Salad


Finally we had a warm and sunny week and weekend. The temperature rose a bit and seems that spring is coming.
I had a very unusual week with days of mixed feelings. On Monday I heard I was going to meet my parents in two weeks’ time in Portugal. On Tuesday I had the beginning of a migraine, spent the day in a dark room semi-awake and MyVerySmallKitchen got to a 1000 hits. On Wednesday we confirmed we are moving back to Brazil coming June! On Thursday a good friend left to work somewhere else and we celebrated with lasagnas. On Friday I had to leave work earlier and spent  three hours in a hospital waiting for an x-ray result (don’t worry we are all fine). What a week!
So, when Saturday came, I was feeling exhausted and at the same time blessed I would have 2 entire days to relax. And I needed to indulge in some comforting homemade food: potato mayonnaise salad.
My mum makes the most amazing, delicious, yummy, creamy potato salad that I ever tried. I love her salad and today I wanted just that. Too bad she is literally on the other side of the world! I learned to make mine with her and somehow it doesn’t taste the same. But I can tell you that so far I just got compliments to my salad and I feel confident enough about it to share my recipe with you.
To prepare my own version of a pretty good potato mayonnaise salad you will  need:
4 medium potatoes peeled and chopped
200ml of canola oil
1 boiled egg
1 egg yolk
2 tablespoons of lemon juice
Salt and black pepper
 
Start filling a medium pan with water and bring it to boil. Peel the potatoes and chop them in cubes. Wash the potatoes and add to the pan with boiling water. Cook them until they are soft. Remove from water and reserve.

To prepare the mayonnaise choose a medium size glass bowl.
Cut the boiled egg in half and remove the egg yolk. Reserve the egg white. Put the egg yolk in the glass bowl and smash it with a fork. Add the raw egg yolk and mix them together with a whisker.


Add the oil little by little and keep whisking. You will notice the mayonnaise is thickening. Repeat this step until finishing the oil.

Add the 2 tablespoons of lemon juice and mix well until totally incorporated (if you don’t have lemon juice you can use white vinegar). The mixture will become creamier and lighter.
Chop the egg white in very small pieces and add to the mayonnaise together with the salt and black pepper. The quantity of salt and pepper will depend on your taste. My mayonnaise is usually a bit salty because I don’t add any seasoning to the potatoes.

Transfer the cooked potatoes to a serving dish and add the mayonnaise mixing carefully with a spoon until all potatoes are coated.

Serve cold as a side dish. This recipe will serve 5 people.



No comments:

Post a Comment