December 8, 2010

Minced Beef Pies



Oh I’m falling behind my posting schedule. These last two weeks had been really busy and I got totally involved with working changes and the anticipation of Maria’s first school camp trip. Did I tell you she was going to spend three whole days and two whole nights away from home? No, I probably didn’t since this is in no way related to food! However, I have to confess I spent most of my last days eating more than usual and dealing with “things” missing in her camp bag and pretending I wasn’t nervous at all about this trip.
Saturday came and again I hadn’t planned what I would cook for my weekend project (I promise I will try to be more organized…) so I had to improvise again. For that, nothing better than a bit of comfort food to remind me where I come from and of course it had to be something sort of fast because I only had a few hours to dedicate to it.
After consulting busy daughter and hungry husband the decision was made: Minced Beef Pies!
The dough for the pies is actually the same one I used in another recipe posted here before. It is just a mixture of flour, butter and a bit of water. I used my fantastic food processor to make it faster.
After opening the dough with a rolling pin, I filled in the pie molds one by one. It was quite relaxing actually.

To prepare the filling I used a medium pan, added olive oil, chopped onions, minced beef and the tomato sauce and cooked it all together for about 10 minutes until the sauce reduced to almost nothing. After, I filled the pies with this mixture and covered the top of the pies with dough sealing the edges with an egg wash.



The pies cooked in the oven for about 20 minutes in medium temperature.



Beef Pie Recipe 
Pie Pastry Recipe:
300g of all purpose flour
150g of butter
3 tablespoons of cold water

Pie Filling:
1 tablespoon of olive oil
400g of minced beef
½ cup of tomato sauce
½ cup of onions finely chopped
Salt and black pepper

1 beaten egg







No comments:

Post a Comment