November 16, 2010

Chicken and Broccoli Pie


Yesterday evening after having a busy day I've got home feeling like I needed some time in the kitchen to de-stress. It usually works very well and after a while I feel relaxed and excited anticipating the taste of my next "project". Yes, dinner was ready already but I still wanted to cook!

I started looking around in the kitchen not knowing exactly what to cook and found out we had some chicken sauce frozen and also a frozen shortcrust pastry. Haha! Perfect combination. It seemed easy. Chicken and broccoli pie with ready-made shortcrust dough. Just a little stretching here and there, combining the filling and done.

Ok, have to confess it wasn't that easy, neither relaxing. As I said the shortcrust pastry was frozen and since I wasn't sure I could defrost it in the microwave (I'm still not…) I decided to do my own homemade version and for that nothing better than a quick video from you tube with a recipe from Jamie Oliver. Oh my, I need to get real. He did that pastry in two minutes (at least in the video) and I spent at least ten just trying to get the proper proportion of butter and flour to work. At the end with a little addition of cold water it worked.

Next step was to open the dough until it was about 2mm thick, transfer it to the baking pan and try to take the first picture for this post. Oh frustration! My camera runned out of battery! If one day a real food blogger reads this post will probably have a good laugh of my amateurism. Anyway, since determination is one my virtues, I decided to charge the battery while I was preparing the filling. Mixed the chicken sauce with broccoli, mushrooms, peeled tomatoes and some spices. Beated the eggs and mixed with the sour cream and spent some time cleaning the kitchen, still waiting for the battery to charge. After a quick update on internet, went back to the kitchen and transferred the filling to the baking tray (by the way, the pastry was in the fridge this whole time, to keep it cool) and poured the eggs and sour cream mix on top. Ended with some grated parmesan cheese on top.




 

 I baked the pie in a 200 degrees C pre-heated oven for about 25 min until it was golden and crispy.

 

And this was dinner. Was it worth? Oh yes, I could hear my husband saying "yum" several times. Was I feeling relaxed? Not quite sure, however no doubts I forgot about my busy day.


Chicken and Broccoli Pie

Shortcrust Pastry
300g of all purpose flour
150g of butter
3 tablespoons of cold water

Filling
2 cups of cooked and shredded chicken breast
½ cup of tomato sauce
1 cup of broccoli
1 cup of chopped mushrooms
3 beaten eggs
1 can of sour cream
Grated parmesan cheese

1 comment:

  1. I think you should invite me for dinner at yours!x Marie

    ReplyDelete